Environmental Action Barrie (EAB) was formed as a not-for-profit corporation in 1991 by a group of residents to increase public awareness of environmental issues, to educate and inform people about environmentally–wise lifestyle and consumer choices, and to operate a recycling depot for items not collected by the City at that time.
EAB has been a registered charitable organization since 1993.
In 2002, EAB changed its name and its vision. EAB – Living Green became an environmental organization dedicated to promoting a safe and healthy environment while helping our community to live green. A new website was created to provide easy access to credible information to help citizens become active participants in community activities and government policies that impact our environment.
Since its inception EAB (Living Green Barrie) has delivered and participated in a variety of innovative environmental services and programs for the community, such as:
- Recycling Depot
- Resource Centre
- Energuide for Houses
- Earth Action Interpreters
- Greenspace Pesticide Campaign
- Take Action Newsletter
- Off the Rack, Barrie Free Clothing Centre & Reskill Institute
- FruitShare Barrie
- Queen’s Park Adoption
- Urban Canopy Coalition
- Green Screen Events
- Spring into Clean
- Great Canadian Shoreline Cleanup
As our journey continues, we reflect and re-focus on the core purposes of establishing Living Green Barrie as an environmental interest group:
- Promoting measures and perspectives that increase public awareness of environmental issues and that further solutions to environmental problems;
- Educating all persons so that informed and environmentally – wise lifestyle and consumer choices can be made;
- And other complementary purposes not inconsistent with these objectives.